I LOVE MY KINDLE!

I love my Kindle! Free books, the most recent releases instantly, larger print, and the ability to read outdoors on a sunny day!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich

The Facts: Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich
                  Fiction-Romance/Mystery, # 3 on NYT Best Sellers list, Released June 21, 2011
                  $28 or $12.99 (Kindle) http://www.amazon.com/
The Book: This book is the 17th in a series (duh) but don't worry if you haven't read any of the other Plum novels. Evanovich always gives a little background info and history in each book so that you can easily follow along in  the current novel. That's another reason why you can pick up any book in this series in any order and feel like you haven't missed important plot points. I consider these books to be like candy for your brain; there is nothing healthy or enriching about them but they are so enjoyable.This current installment does not disappoint; it's sticky sweet!
Smokin' Seventeen  follows the Janet Evanovich established checklist for Stephanie Plum novels. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Why change something that works so well?
The founding cast of characters: Stephanie Plum-Bounty Hunter
 Lula-Ex-hooker and assistant to Stephanie
Joe Morelli-Trenton Cop and sometimes boyfriend of Stephanie
Ranger- Bad-boy Security expert and sometimes lover of Stephanie
Check, check, check and check.
Dead bodies showing up. Check. In this book they show up in shallow graves on the empty construction site of Vincent Plum Bail Bonds, This is also where Stephanie Plum works. Vincent Plum is her sleazy cousin and boss. Moving on. Unknown killer who is also after Stephanie Plum. Check. Stephanie,Lula, and cast trying to solve the mystery of the murders. Check. Trying to choose between Morelli and Ranger. Check. (sigh-wish I had that dilemma). Cars blowing up, donuts and Cluck in the Bucket chicken, funeral viewings, and Mooner. Check, check, check,  and check!
So what's new in this book that makes me say..."I am so glad I read another Stephanie Plum novel?" The "vordo" curse. It's a spell put on Stephanie by Morelli's  Grandma Bella. I can't tell you what the curse does because that would spoil the fun but I can tell you that by the time you get done reading this book you will want a little "vordo" of your own!
Bottom line: It's a light, sexy, funny, action packed read; perfect for summer. It will make you laugh!
But.... I think it would be nice to see this series (17 books and counting!) completed.
Dear Ms. Evanovich, Give us a fresh book all about Lula. She is my favorite character! I would love to read about her antics (and we could still pay visits to Stephanie). I have even thought of some book ideas for Lula. What do you think of "Lula's Fast Food Diet Tips" or "How to Shoot a Gun and Run in Heels" or "How to Dress for Success"? Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to reading about Plum .

Extras:   Janet Evanovich has a great website where you can find lot's of fun little facts and tidbits about the Plum novels plus information on all of her other books. I have read every one! You can also get info about the upcoming movie based on the first Stephanie Plum novel. http://www.janetevanovich.com/

No comments: