I LOVE MY KINDLE!

I love my Kindle! Free books, the most recent releases instantly, larger print, and the ability to read outdoors on a sunny day!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants
By Sara Gruen
Fiction/Romance
Released April 9, 2009
$8.86 or $7.10 Kindle
Bestseller list-Paperback #3

I ordered this book on my Kindle after having my interest piqued by the movie previews. I succumbed to all the hype! I was not disappointed that I spent the money from my cherished amazon.com gift card that I received for my birthday.
The story "Water for Elephants" introduces you to  90ish year old Jacob. Jacob is a resident of a nursing home and when the circus comes to town and sets up their tents next to the home, Jacob begins to remember his own past with the traveling circus.
You travel back in time to The Benzini Brother's Biggest Show on Earth! Sorry-exclamation point- I think when you speak about the circus it should always be with excitement!  I may be channeling my own inner Ring Master. "Introducing......" says Ronda in a booming voice....
Ahem...sorry about that. On with the show...I mean story.
Jacob's story begins tragically and that tragedy leads him to the railroad and a life with the traveling circus. All he has are the clothes on his back and an almost-complete degree as a Veterinarian. This knowledge of animals secures him a spot with the show as the head caretaker of the circus menagerie. Enter in Rosie the elephant and Marlena, a non-elephant. Marlena is the star of the Big Top and the apple of Jacob's eye. Every good love story though, must have a villain. "Water for Elephants" has August. His uncle is the owner of this show and the Ringmaster. His wife-gasp!- is Marlena.
Just like the Biggest Show on Earth this story has something for everyone. A little romance, a little action, and a little humor. A little popcorn...nope.
I don't think Sara Gruen is the strongest writer. Compared to say, Stephen King, for example. She does have a nice, simple flowing feel to her words, though. Her detail to history and accuracy  are really  what makes this book stand out. The book is set in the early depression and you really get a feel for that despair. The grittiness of Prohibition and the seediness of the back lots of a circus. Excellent!
The star of the book isn't any of the characters but the story of the circus during this time in American history. It made me want to go to the library and find some books all about the history of the circus. Notice I haven't mentioned much about circus freaks? The freaks get all the attention when you think of a circus. In this story, yes, there are circus freaks. But they don't steal the show. Get it? I couldn't resist.
Reading this book is like enjoying the simple pleasure of watching the cogs and gears turn in a big old grandfather clock. Complex and fascinating but ordinary enough to make you just smile.
Read this: Yes, especially if you loved "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. I felt they were very similiar in style and story.
But: Don't get too excited about bearded ladies and tattoo freaks.  They get a small part in this big top.
Bonus: The movie, not yet out on DVD, that features Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson. Go to http://saragruen.com/ for more info.

No comments: